Francisco Sa Carneiro Airport (OPO)
History, Facts and Overview
Dating back to the war years of the early 1940s, Francisco Sa Carneiro Airport was officially opened in 1943. A site conveniently close to Porto and the coastline area was chosen, next to Mosteiro, Perafita and Santa Cruz do Bispo. In recent years, the airport has undergone considerable renovations, modernising the building and improving the amenities, and was named after Portugal's prominent prime minister Francisco Manuel Lumbrales de Sá Carneiro, who tragically died in 1980.
Cash machines are located throughout Porto's Francisco Sa Carneiro Airport and there is also a bank, operated by the Banco Totta e Açores, along with a bureau de change, a CTT post office and a lost property service.
Shopping at the airport is extensive and it includes duty-free, with favourite outlets including Relay, the Cores Doces delicatessen, Football Corner, the Sunglass Hut and Rosior jewellers, along with Portuguese gift stores, such as the Instituto dos Vinhos Douro e Porto and Fernando Costa Almeida.
Coffee shops, cafés, restaurants and bars are also in good supply on all floors of the airport and include favourites, such as Café Aeroporto, Medas Beer, Meal O'Clock and the self-service Food Gallery. Business facilities can be found in the various airport lounges, which are located on levels 1 and 2. They include Airport Lounge 1, Airport Lounge 2 and the Navigator Lounge for use by TAP-Air Portugal passengers.